Stage 2 Result- Tobias Dahlhaus takes the uphill sprint to the line from a large select group

Image: British Cycling/ Guy Swarbrick
The final stage of this years race treated spectators to a fast and attacking filled day, with yesterday afternoons stage abandoned due to the crash time gaps remained close from the time trial and it was all to play for.

The action got underway on the first climb of the day at Burrington, the long draggy climb allowing riders to stretch their legs for the challenges ahead. The pace was being forced at the front with some good work from the Welsh and Backstead team who set a good pace to use as a springboard for the first of the days attacks over the summit.
The bunch reformed on the roads through yesterdays circuits and a number of single and double riders tried to break away but were never given more than a few hundred meters.
Spokes Racing Team who were in the thick of the action yesterday also gave it a go using a double rider attack up the road to help stretch the field, again this was pulled back and never allowed more than a few hundred meters.

The race now descended the Mendips and retraced the northern side of the hills to turn up the "Berg esgue" climb of Blagdon. The Wall like climb of over 20% put riders into the red early on and once through the feed zone the attacks came in as the bunch began to split, Race leader Oscar Mingay used the Cranepart King of the Mendips prime as a springboard to jump clear and force the break. a little further back the smaller groups were merging and leaving the race now in two distinct bunches working hard to pull back a gap which had grown to 45 seconds.
The front group had swelled to around 25 riders with a good mix of teams represented, though the chasers were still working back and the gap then yo-yo'd between 20-35 seconds across the top and through the decent. However it was through the twisting roads from Chewton mendip to West Harptree that the chase group began to sit up a little and the gap grew. This gave the leading bunch some time for a quick respite before turning left and racing up the final climb of the day of Harptree Hill, once on the climb the leaders started to look at each other and see who would make the initial attack, behind the attacks were coming as the chase group realised time was running out if they wanted to be in the mix for the stage.

On the steepest part of the climb the race was in bits as a smaller select group containing race leader Oscar Mingay from Team Wales pulled ahead and contested the sprint to the line. where Tobias Dahlhaus (London Dynamo) took the sprint from Mason Hollman (Bike box Alan) and George Kimber (CS Dynamo) in a 5 up sprint containing the race leader who by now had done enough to take the overall.